Hebrew language classes are required for 4th - 6th Graders in religious school. Students will be assessed at the beginning of the year to determine the appropriate class level for them.
- Objectives for Hebrew classes include:
- Mastering prayer book Hebrew to the extent that our students can participate comfortably in any service in the Jewish world
- Increasing Jewish cultural literacy and sense of Jewish identity and community
- Mastery of decoding (Hebrew reading) skills
- Familiarity, fluency and conceptual understanding of prayer
- Study of holiday blessings and Hebrew vocabulary
- Acquisition of some modern Hebrew language skills
Nevei Kodesh Hebrew teachers are trained in Hebrew Through Movement, a language acquisition strategy in which students learn Hebrew by hearing and responding to Hebrew commands. It introduces Hebrew in a playful and meaningful way, creating a positive first link between children and Hebrew. Hebrew Through Movement is supported by the latest brain research on learning, providing an aural foundation for Hebrew that opens the door to more facile Hebrew decoding and reading.
Hebrew Through Movement is based on ways that children learn naturally:
- Moving about and doing
- Being in an environment of positive emotional support
- Feeling safe
- Moving forward at their own pace
- Learning in a joyful, playful environment
- Through songs, chants and rhythmic activities
Parents can learn along with their children using the free videos and other materials available at: hebrewthroughmovement.org.
Students who are unable to enroll in Hebrew Classes must have permission from the school director to fulfill the requirement by studying with a tutor.